In the early, 1800's one could not find a church the city of Reading that provided sermons in English. Eager to cross a cultural boundary with the good news of Jesus Christ, John McKnight enlisted the aid of Rev. John Ferguson Grier and founded the First English Presbyterian Church of Reading in 1814.
In 1846 Rev. Dr. Elias Richards led First Presbyterian's construction effort, establishing a permanent structure at the corners of 5th and Franklin. Home for over 170 years, the Gothic church on 5th & Franklin was completed in 1848.
In 2014 First Presbyterian Church of Reading observed its 200th anniversary. The building was sold in 2018 in anticipation of a new season of mission and ministry.
On Easter Sunday 2019, First Presbyterian Church of Reading began worshipping at 1045 North Park Road in Wyomissing and officially became Park Road Presbyterian Church.